- Circulation Policies
- Get a Card
- Check Your Library Account or Renew Items
- Interlibrary Loan
- Placing a Request
- What is My Password?
- Return Policy
- Lost Item Policy
A maximum of 50 items may be checked out per patron. Items may be returned to any Louisville Free Public Library location. Any lost or damaged items will be the responsibility of the borrower (see Lost Item Policy).
- Circulation period: 21 days for general collection items, 7 days for 7 day bestsellers.
- Overdue fines: Adult general collection: $0.20 per day; $10.00 maximum per item (magazines $5.00 maximum per item); Bestsellers: $0.25 per day; $10.00 maximum per item; Children's general collection: $0.10 per day; $5.00 maximum per item.
- Reserves: Books in the general collection may be reserved. 7 day copies of bestsellers may not be reserved.
- Renewals: Books in the general collection may be renewed three times as long as there are no outstanding reserve requests on the item. 7 day bestsellers may not be renewed.
- Circulation period: 7 days.
- Overdue Fines: $0.25 per day; Adult collection $10.00 maximum per item; Children's collection $5.00 maximum per item.
- DVD Limits: 10 per patron
- Reserves: DVDs/Videos may be reserved.
- Renewals: DVDs/Videos may be renewed three times as long as there are no outstanding reserve requests on the item.
- Fine for missing DVD/Video case: $2.00.
- Fine for one missing DVD/Video in a multiple DVD/Video set: $10.00.
- Fine for one missing DVD/Video in a kit: $10.00.
- Fine for DVD liner notes: $1.00.
Audiobooks & Music CD's
- All Library locations have playaways, music CDs and Books-on-CD..
- Circulation period: 21 days.
- Overdue fines: $0.25 per day; Adult collection $10.00 maximum per item; Children's collection $5.00 maximum per item.
- Fine for one missing CD in a multiple Audio/Music CD set: $10.00.
- Music CD Limits: 20 per patron
- Audiobook limits: up to 50
- Reserves: Audiobooks may be reserved.
- Renewals: Audiobooks may be renewed three times as long as there are no outstanding reserve requests on the item.
Call the automated renewal line: 574-1732
- Press 1 to Login and Renew Items
- Enter your library card number and press #
- Enter your password and press #
- Press 2 to hear a list of all items out and an option to renew
- Press 5 while the title is being read to renew the item
Via the Web
It is now possible to check your library account online. From your account you can do the following:
- See a list of items checked out on your card.
- Renew items.
- See a list of fines owed.
- See a list of items on request or being held.
- Suspend or cancel hold requests.
- Submit updates to your contact information.
To access your library account online follow these instructions
- First you will need the number from your LFPL library card (the 13 digits below the barcode).
- Then you will need your account password. If you do not remember your password, go to "What Is My Password."
- Finally click on "My Account" from any page of our Web site and enter your barcode number and password and click on the login button.
You may place requests online for Library items using our Web catalog. Follow the instructions below, then use the link below to go to the Web catalog.
You will need the number from your LFPL library card (the 13 digits below the barcode) and your password. (what’s my password?) Enter these numbers in the appropriate boxes on the login screen and click the login button.
Instructions for Placing a Request
- From any page on the library's Web site, click on the "Library Catalog" button.
- Search the catalog to find the item/s you want to reserve.
- On each item listing in the catalog there should be a link that says "Place Request." Click the "Place Request" link. You’ll be taken to a log-in screen. Log in using your library barcode number and password.
- Specify which branch you want to have the item transferred to for you to pick up and submit your request.
- Once the request has been submitted, it should show up on the "My Account" page whenever you log in with your card number and password. You can go there to check the status of your request.
If you already know your password, you can change it by logging into My Account and clicking Change Password. You can include letters and numbers in your password (A-Z, a-z, 0-9). It can be up to 16 characters long, with a minimum of 4 characters.
Items may be returned to any location of the Louisville Free Public Library regardless of where they were checked out. Items can be returned via book drops located on the exterior of the building or by bringing them in to the Check-out counter. If an exterior Book Drop is full or locked, please DO NOT place the item(s) on or around the exterior of the Book Drop.
Borrowers are responsible for the replacement cost of library materials that are lost or not returned. If the borrower finds the item within six months of the actual date of payment, then the Library will refund the payment minus any outstanding balance on the borrower’s account, assuming the item is in good condition. The Library does not accept replacement copies of the actual item in lieu of payment.