See what's next for Southwest!
On Monday, February 4, Mayor Greg Fischer, Library Director Craig Buthod, and the design team celebrated the unveiling of the design for the new Southwest Regional Library. This 40,000 square foot state-of-the-art Southwest Regional Library will be located in the 9900 block of Dixie Highway next to Meijer.
At more than twice the size of the current branch, this new resource library will enhance service for nearly 100,000 people in southwestern Jefferson County. Filled with new books and cutting edge technology, the library will also be a community anchor where librarians will help families, children and adults access tools to improve their lives. It will be a destination where community members gather to share ideas. It will be a place that encourages learning and inspires the imagination.
For more pictures of the design - click here.
Here are just a few of the exciting features you asked for in the new Southwest Library:
- Community meeting rooms
- a central meeting room accommodating groups as large as 100
- a smaller meeting area for groups up to 45 people
- Glass-enclosed study rooms
- A large children's library
- More books (100,000 to be precise)
- "Green,” eco-friendly design
- State-of-the-art technology
- More computers for all ages
- Touch-screen computers
- Self-check out
- A dedicated teen library
- Quiet, cozy places to read