Ask a Librarian

Frequently Asked Reference Questions

If you don't find the answer to your question, please contact us.

How do I search online for Kentucky death, marriage, and divorce records?

Visit the Kentucky Vital Records Index. Death records are available from 1911-1992. Marriage and divorce records are also available from 1973-1993.

How can I apply for a library card online?

Find out about eligibility and requirements. There is a link at the bottom of the page that takes you directly to the online LFPL Library Card Application.

Back to Top

I need to research a patent. Does the library offer this service for a fee?

The library does not research patents for a fee. You must go to a library that is a Patent and Trademark Depository Library to do a Patent Search. There are some links on our web page that you can use to get more information about patents and trademarks. From the library's homepage, go to "Internet". Then choose "Copyrights, Patents, & Trademarks". You will find a link to the "United States Patent and Trademark Office". There is a list of Patent and Trademark Depository Libraries on this site.

The Louisville Free Public Library is a PTDL library. You can access resources to do a comprehensive Patent Search by using our collection. We also offer a free monthly workshop which will orient new users to the Patents and Trademarks Collection. To find out when the workshop will be held, check our Computer Classes and Workshops page. See our Patents and Trademarks page for more information about the collection.

How can I obtain local history and/or genealogical information if I live outside Jefferson County?

The Library provides for a nominal fee limited research services to those who live outside Jefferson County. If you want our staff to assist you with your request, please read carefully and use the Printable Research Request Form.

You can obtain additional information on locations of local genealogical and historical information from our web site.

Back to Top

I would like to use the Courier-Journal for research. How can I access it?

LFPL offers cardholders access to the Courier-Journal online through the library’s Research Tools page. You will need your library card and password to access the CJ outside of the library.

If you live outside the Jefferson County area, you may send an Out of County request for information. Please be advised that research and mailing fees will apply.

How do I reserve an item online?

Here are some instructions to help you with reserving items through the library's website.

  1. Go to the library's website:
  2. Click on "Library Catalog" on the left side of your screen.
  3. Type in the title, author, or subject that you are searching for and click the corresponding search button.
  4. Scan the results list to find the correct item. Click on "Request title" located above the title of the item you’re looking for.
  5. Enter your library card number and password.
  6. Fill out the information requested on "Submit Request to Louisville Free Public Library".
  7. Choose location where you would like to pick up material.
  8. Click on "Submit Request".

I would like to bring a group to the library for a tour. What do I need to do to arrange such a trip?

Find out about about LFPL tours.

Back to Top

LFPL does not own the item that I’m looking for. How can I obtain a copy of this item?

You can submit your request either through our Interlibrary Loan Department or you can request that LFPL purchase the item that you’re interested in. You may submit an Interlibrary Loan request either online, by asking at the Information Desk of the Main Library or any branch, or by calling the JustAsk Center at 574-1611. LFPL works with other libraries to borrow materials that we do not own.

You can request that LFPL purchase the item that you’re interested in by filling out the online form or by calling the JustAsk Center at 574-1611.

If you don't find the answer to your question, please contact us.

Back to Top
Last Updated: 09/29/2020