Main Library
Sunday: 1:00 pm - 5:00 pm
EDT
Bon Air
Sunday: 1:00 pm - 5:00 pm
EDT
Crescent Hill
Sunday: Closed
Fairdale
Sunday: Closed
Highlands-Shelby Park
Sunday: Closed
Iroquois
Sunday: 1:00 pm - 5:00 pm
EDT
Middletown
Sunday: Closed
Newburg
Sunday: Closed
Northeast Regional
Sunday: 1:00 pm - 5:00 pm
EDT
Portland
Sunday: Closed
Saint Matthews
Sunday: 1:00 pm - 5:00 pm
EDT
Shawnee
Sunday: 1:00 pm - 5:00 pm
EDT
Shively
Sunday: Closed
South Central Regional
Sunday: 1:00 pm - 5:00 pm
EDT
Southwest Regional
Sunday: 1:00 pm - 5:00 pm
EDT
Western
Sunday: Closed
Jeffersontown
Sunday: Closed
Offsite
Press enter or spacebar to select a desired language.

ST. MATTHEWS ELINE

St Matthews

CONTACT

3940 Grandview Ave.
Louisville, KY 40207
(502) 574-1771

HOURS

Mon: 10 a.m. – 9 p.m.
Tue: 10 a.m. – 9 p.m.
Wed: 10 a.m. – 9 p.m.
Thu: 10 a.m. – 9 p.m.
Fri: 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Sat: 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Sun: 1 p.m. – 5 p.m.

DIRECTIONS

ACCESSIBILITY

Wheelchair access is located at the front entrance of the library building and from the sidewalk on each side of the building, next to Fairfax Avenue and parallel to Meridian Avenue. There are five accessible parking spots to the left of the entrance of the branch. St. Matthews is outfitted with Hearing Loop technology in the large meeting room.

HISTORY

The St. Matthews library has been a proud member of its community for more than half a century. After being in temporary quarters over a bank along Shelbyville Rd. and later in a home on Brown Ave., the library moved to Church Way in 1958. The Eline family donated the land behind the St. Matthews Methodist Church as a memorial to Sidney Eline, Jr. who had been killed in the Second World War. The City of St. Matthews erected a modern ranch-style facility on that site and it quickly became a focal point of the neighborhood.

The brisk activity of the Sidney Eline Memorial Library prompted two expansions of the Church Way facility. In 1993 the City of St. Matthews acquired a 3-story brick building on Grandview Ave. that had formerly been the Future Federal Savings and Loan and prior to that the Greathouse Elementary School. A million-dollar remodeling project by the City of St. Matthews resulted in a unified City Hall building housing the Clerk's Office, Police Department, Beargrass-St. Matthews Historical Society and the library. Because of the generosity of Mayor Art Draut and the City Council, the library was moved into its new home on April 11, 1994.

On May 9, 2019, the City of St. Matthews re-opened a renovated and expanded St. Matthews Library at the same location. The now 19,000-square-foot facility houses more than 70,000 books and features a large meeting room with seating for 100, a small conference room, a space for teens, an outdoor children’s area, and new technology—including self-checkout stations. A new entrance with glass façade fills the space with an abundance of natural light, and services are on one level for easy access for all members of the community.